Sugar pervades all of our lives but many people don’t realize how much sugar is impacting them despite of all the signs their bodies are sending their way. Want to know if sugar is an issue in your life? Take a look and see if you can recognize any of these signs in your life:
- Dark circles under eyes
- Sugar strips nutrients in your body and iron is a big one. Those dark circles can be a sign of iron deficiency
- Sugar hangover
- You’re not drinking alcohol but you don’t feel well rested when you wake up
- Gray complexion
- Your skin lights up and becomes radiant when you’re nourishing yourself with living food (plants). In the absence of this food, your complexion becomes dampened
- Sugar can cause acne to persist – an inflammed body results in inflammed skin
- You’re feeling slow and tired
- Mood swings
- The high is when you have the sugar and the low is when you don’t. This roller coaster can lead to a deeper sense of low dullness
- Sugar’s insidious reach can start as the rollercoaster of ups and downs which then leave you at a constant low
- Sugar belly
- That persistent roll around your middle can be a sign that you have lots of processed foods converting to sugars in your body
- Sugar impacts your brain greatly and alongside dehydration can mean serious headaches
- Joint pain
- Most people with joint pain or arthritis report that once they are off of sugar the pain subsides significantly
- Energy crashes
- This isn’t exclusive to the afternoon slump and can happen at any time of the day in the throws of sugar addiction
- You can’t stop thinking about the next hit
- Are you planning your day around where you’re going to get your next sugar high?
If you’ve identified with any of these issues, then it might be time to take a look at sugar and how it’s affecting you. Your body is communicating with you at all times and as the old adage says, “If you listen to your body when it whispers, you don’t have to listen to it scream.”
When it comes to sugar addiction, it is only a matter of time before it starts screaming at you. So get quiet and take the time to listen to it whisper.
Are you unsure if sugar is your issue? Be the scientist of your own body – give it up for 7 days and see how you feel. You’ve got nothing to lose.
Check out our 7 Day Eat Less Sugar challenge if you want some guidance.